CAP Act Introduced in Congress
The Community Access Preservation Act (CAP Act) of 2011, H.R. 1746, was introduced in Congress on May 5, 2011, by Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) and Congressman Steven La Tourette (R-OH).
Passage of the CAP Act will ensure continued operational funding for community media centers in states all across the nation.
The CAP Act:
- Removes the distinction between "capital" and "operating" in PEG* support fees.
- Ensures local governments can secure funding for PEG channels in exchange for cable operators' use of public rights-of-way and makes sure local government can have PEG channels.
- Requires cable operators transmit the PEG channels without charge to the local government.
- Requires the FCC to undertake a study of PEG.
* PEG = Public, Educational, and Government
Read the full text of the Community Access Preservation Act.